30 Jul 2011

LO SPUNTINO PIZZERIA, TAURANGA CENTRAL

Walking past Lo Spuntino at midday Saturday located in downtown Tauranga, the menu placed outside is a spiderweb. You step forward, take a cheeky glance, step back to ponder but it's too late - you're stuck. So in you must venture.

Sitting down I hold the menu with my head swarming. Italian's have an uncanny way of describing meals that make you drool before you've eaten. At the last second I order a Vegetariana Pizza with a Santa Vittoria Aranciata drink. NOTE: I'm just repeating these names to sound exotic and lyrical.



Viva italia! - image from musically.com

The pizza arrived, and if anyone was staring, they'd probably see two saucer sized heart shapes centred in each one of my eyes. Being addicted to pizza is a tough, tough job - but some-one's got to do it.
Halfway through I realise it would probably be wise (and polite) to place my napkin on my lap like a normal human being, before proceeding to drinking and slurping merrilly away.

Three's a charm, and that's how many times we were checked on - each time me saying something in muffled gibberish along the lines of 'oh I like this!'. Service was smooth and never missed a beat.

 Aside from a manic wobbly table, the interior has a very classic touch, and straight ahead there is a courtyard which just screams good times. The kitchen is situated opposite the till - great for grabbing a quick whiff of flavours before you drag yourself outside.


Spuntino's courtyard: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Spuntino-pizzeria-cafe-Tauranga/111025812298582#!/pages/Spuntino-pizzeria-cafe-Tauranga/111025812298582

Luigi, 'The Godfather' lookalike and also the owner of Volare just around the corner, is potentially the only gentleman who can ride a red vespa 'round town while not looking like an idiot.

vespacrazy.com

Hours

Lunch:

  • Mon-Sat: 11.30am - 2.30pm

Dinner:
  • Mon: 5 - 9.30pm
  • Tues: 5.30 - 9.30pm
  • Wed: 5 - 9.30pm
  • Thurs: 5 - 10pm
  • Fri & Sat: 5 - 10.30pm


Next time I plan to have dessert & coffee, and if a pizza to-go happens to protest it needs me too, then hey, who can argue with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment